26 January 2010

Happy 8th month and yet another dog park rant


Yesterday was Zoë's 8th month birthday! She's big now, basically full-grown, but still a wee pup at heart.

I took her up to the leash-free yesterday morning and it started to rain the minute I got her out of the car. Luckily I was dressed for it - it was so mild that all I needed was my windbreaker. It was great not to have to dress like I'm about to summit Everest!!!

Zoë had a fabulous time. I thought that maybe she might be the only dog there, but the dog walker showed up with 6 dogs, so game on! All the dogs got completely soaked and muddy (as did I). Since the ground was partially thawed, many 'treasures' were unearthed - pieces of tennis ball, more water bottle caps, plastic bags, dicarded coffee cups and piles of unscooped poop. I mean, really, people!!! There are two garbages at the entrance to the park! The leash-free is not a garbage dump. Also, the Volunteer Committee, thanks to the membership fee of a $10, leaves poop bags for patrons. However, there are some who see this generosity as an opportunity to load up on their own personal supply, so these donated bags - about 60 of them - are there one day and all gone the next. Thank you to whoever steals them - the rest of us greatly appreciate it.

One more thing - Kypros and I actually watch two girls avec their dogs walk around the leash-free on Sunday. Their two large dogs crapped all over the place and neither of them stopped to scoop it up. Completely ignorant. These types of patrons are not welcome at the leash-free. Other dogs, and people end up stepping in poop and tracking it home on boots and shoes and PAWS.

This morning, Zoë threw-up. She's been quite lethargic this morning and has just now assumed her post by the living room window to look outside. She hasn't touched her food this morning either. So, my guess is that she ate something at the leash-free. We'll soon see. I'm not going to take her today, maybe just a walk. That way, I can completely control what she puts in her mouth.

Anyway, that's yet another leash-free rant.

No comments: